The Deadlift Challenge: Week 6
Max as tested on 10/01/2015- 220 kgs
Week 6: 90% of max (200 kgs) 3 sets of 2 rep
Week 6, and we’ve finally climbed into the 200’s.
As you might have noticed we’re tapering down again in volume for the final time before the last phase of the program where we go towards that new max.
I’ve got to reiterate that I still have no certainty that I’m going to actually pull a new PR, but based on the training so far I’m feeling quite confident.
At lot will depend on how well these last few weeks go as well as the day itself.
But the principle remains- get stronger for more reps at sub-maximal weight and you should see your overall 1 rep max increase.
This week I was the first time working at 90% of my max, which is pretty taxing on my CNS so as planned the reps are low.
However you might have noticed I changed from doing 3 sets of 1 rep to 3 sets of 2.
This is partly an adjustment because I felt good this time, but also because I want to be confident that I can move this sort of weight for at least a couple of reps.
This is a good time for me the feel how fast I’m moving the bar as well as helping build my mental preparation for when I add more to the bar.
Here’s how it went.
Last set of 3, and the last rep was disgusting!
In general though the weight felt pretty good.
I’m going to be away for the next two weeks without a place to train so I’m going to be pushing session 7 back until my return.
Knowing this I really went for it this session, trying to work myself as hard as possible because I know I will get a long break to recover.
Hopefully the break shouldn’t affect me too much and I should be able to walk into session 7 fresh and ready to go big.
I’ll need to be ready because I think session 7 is going to be pretty brutal: 190 kgs for 3 sets of 5 reps.
Looking forward to it already!